THE PHOTOGRAPHERS WIFE | Book Review

08:00:00

The Photographers Wife – A Review.. and a first.






Let's start with a list?

  • Author: Nick Alexander.
  • Pages: 440
  • Kindle average time to read: 9 hours and 29 minutes
  • Time took to read: A few days; I was busy.
  • 1-5 stars: 4.5*
I received this book during the festive period for being a customer with EE so. Thanks +EE. It actually encouraged me to download the Kindle app for my Iphone. 



KINDLE APP FOR: 

Would I have picked this book out by the cover or the blurb – probably not, but it has introduced me into trying new genre's of books that I wouldn't have previously considered. (as the saying goes, never judge a book by its cover)

The basic setting of the book is from 1930's to present day London/Eastbourne and follows a mother and her daughter through their lives.

Barbara (the mother) was born during the Second World War (a particular favourite period of time for me) and follows her journey through surviving the war with her mother and sister, finding love, marriage and children.

Sophie (The daughter) is a middle aged woman, a photographer (and the daughter of a photographer) and follows her life and career, and trying to honour her fathers work.

The book shows the relationship between the mother and daughter and the struggle of their apparent relationship, the daughter is so obviously alike her father and her mother through life has had some struggles (not giving anything away) and therein lies some tension between the two of them, mainly for the lack of appreciation that her Father's (Tony) artwork seemingly deserves from her mother.

Personally, I find this book very real, and that of a generational gap. It encapsulates a real mother daughter relationship, one that reminds me of my own with my mother and grandmother. A relationship where the two are obviously so different, yet alike, that they miss the fact they are so alike in their ways it creates conflict.

The book flips back and forth between the characters (and years) showing both of them going through life at the same time... it actually reminded me of a Jodi Picoult book in the way each chapter represented a different character, although in this book it centers between the mother and daughter rather than a range of characters alike Picoult (and Dawn French; A tiny bit of Marvellous highly recommend)

The characters seem determined, stubborn and set in their ways. Both follow relationships, careers, life lessons and traumas. It's as if *Alexander has written the same character living in two separate lifetimes, with the exception of Sophie being alike her father in terms of photography. You definitely see a generational gap and get a sense of the turmoil's that Barbara faced growing up during the war, and life events that have made her who she is in the present day.

Do I recommend this book? Yes I do, I'd say give it a try, it's realistic, and honest, and written in what feels like an autobiographical view. You get a sense that the author, has experienced Barbara's turmoil's, or Sophie's struggles. He gets the psychological aspect of certain situations spot on and I appreciate that in a book, when the words fit and it feels real.

I'll leave a link to the book and below will be a link to where I found the free kindle books too if you want to take a look.

FREE KINDLE BOOKS FROM AMAZON HERE!!!








Let me know what you thought of my review. And if you've read the book (or have any recommendations for other books I should read) Leave that in the comments.

Don't forget to follow me on BloglovinTwitter,Facebook and Instagram for more!

I hope you are all well. 



Miss Jamie-Leigh


















You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews